The Stewardship of Family and Relationships - Friday get_app
Many times, we take for granted that those people that we are closest to – our family, friends, and church family – are also part of our stewardship. How we view each other and the responsibilities we have to steward these relationships is critical in honoring God.
- How does this passage say to speak each other, both older and younger?
(as fathers/mothers and brothers/sisters)
- What is the responsibility to widows, both for the church and the widow’s family?
(honor them and take care of them)
- How good are you at doing these things? How well is your church doing?
(take a minute to pray and ask God to make you and us better at honoring each other in word and action)
I am sure many of us have seen families or individuals that have not done well in taking care of each other. Sometimes it’s physical needs, but often it can also be spiritual direction. There is no greater challenge given to parents and to grandparents than to raise their children into a healthy understanding of a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Who’s most responsible for children to learn how to follow God?
- What does true learning of Scripture do for us and our children?
(makes us wise for salvation through faith)
- Is there ever a time when we don’t need to teach this Truth to our families?
I want to emphasize that I do believe our church is critical to help grow our families in faith and in Truth. But nothing will ever take the place of the responsibility of the home to be the discipling force behind spiritually healthy families. Ask questions of each other. Discuss Scripture together and see what you can learn from each other. Don’t assume spiritual health just because you go to church together (but DO GO TO CHURCH together! ). God has given you families and church members to care for and challenge in love to be strong in the Lord. When we do this well, it is an effective witness to the outside world, and it brings Him glory.
- What happens when those around us see us acting as light in the world?
(they see it and give glory to the Father)
- What would then be the reason why people around us don’t know we are Christ followers?
(we aren’t letting the light of Christ be seen by them)
- How can you “let your light shine before others”?
(think of ways to do this each day)
God has given you family, relationships, and our church in order to make each one about
honoring God (
On a scale from 1 to 10, how well are you stewarding your family and relationships? (If you feel like you didn’t do well with this and your kids are now grown, there is no condemnation in Christ for this! Ask God to allow you to speak Truth in love and teach them today. Pray for opportunities to be the parent and grandparent God wants you to be now. The same goes for past relationships that were not honoring God. Make them now a chance to talk about your faith in Christ.)
Close by enjoying this kids’ song (“This Little Light of Mine”), but recognize the truth of it as well.