Worthy of Worship - Monday get_app
Worship. It’s a word I’m sure we’re familiar with, but it often will mean a lot of things to a lot of people, so let’s make sure we’re on the same page. A classroom-type definition would point to worship as centering your mind’s attention and your heart’s affection on God. That’s a pretty wordy thought there. Donald S. Whitney says it this way – “Worship is focusing on and responding to God.” Worship is deciding what is worthy (or worth-ship) and giving praise and honor to it.
- What makes God worthy of our praise according to these passages?
- How does reading “in Him all things hold together” affect you?
God is ultimately the only One worthy of our true praise, and He has given us direction to only worship Him. If we let ourselves really consider that God has made everything and is literally holding it all together, we would be less inclined to think something else should get our worship. In fact, God gives us a warning about worshiping other things.
- What does God say about worshiping other gods?
- Why is He jealous when people worship other things? (He is the only One worthy!)
Think about it this way: you plan a big birthday party. You invite everyone you know because you know it’s going to be the best party ever. You spare no expense and you rent out Disney World! You do all this so that people will remember you and want to be with you. Then the day arrives and no one comes because they wanted to spend time with someone else over you or they didn’t want to make time for you. How jealous and upset would you be? God wants our worship so, so much more than that. He MADE us to worship Him!
- If Jesus is the Head of the Church, then who should the emphasis of our worship be on?
- How does Jesus’ death and resurrection in order to reconcile (or restore) us to God make you feel? Does this lead you to want to worship Him?
We have the Author and Redeemer of creation as our God! Everything around us points to Him. And He wants, more than anything, for us to worship and adore Him. He’s worthy of our worship. We need to see and give Him worth-ship.
- Spend time speaking out loud to God and to your family about the many reasons why He is
worthy of our worship.
(Maybe point to His creation, Christ’s sacrifice, His authority over all things, etc.)
Sing or listen together to “Is He Worthy” below and then pray together in worship to God.